A Guide for Referring Students to ODS

Reasons to Refer a Student to ODS:

  1. If you suspect a student would benefit from disability related academic adjustments and they shared with you they have a disability or used academic adjustments in the past:
    1. Guide them to the ODS web page – Current Students – Register with ODS
      1. Students can follow the detailed instructions provided on this page.

**Having a student fill out the Self-Assessment form is critical, it allows ODS to do outreach without having documentation. We want to make sure documentation is not a barrier to initiate access and we will follow-up directly with the student on what information is necessary to authorize any academic adjustments.

  1. If a student tells you they think they may have a learning disability, but have never been tested, please direct student to the Learning Assessment Center (LAC) section of our website. There they will find the necessary information to initiate a screening.
  1. The student has presented a letter of accommodation from ODS, but is NOT using the academic adjustments that you believe they may benefit from or if you believe they need additional resources.

Reasons for faculty/staff to reach out to ODS:

  1. If you believe the student has a disability and it is adversely impacting his/her performance or behavior in class and his/her has not disclosed a disability or used academic adjustments or auxiliary aids in the past.
    1. We can work with you on how to engage the student in a discussion about the sensitive topic of disability and how to make appropriate referrals.

What ODS does not do/ Information ODS will not share:

  • Information pertaining to a student’s disability status, provide details of what the disability is or the rationale for the specific academic adjustments, without a written release from the student
  • Provide mental health or ADHD assessments
  • Schedule the student’s exam
  • Force or mandate a student to use their academic adjustments or disclose their disability status
  • Back date academic adjustments (accommodations)
  • Provide an excused absence letter pertaining to a personal or family emergency