ESF students, please contact the ESF Student Affairs Office at 110 Bray Hall, 315-470-6658
Guidelines for Requesting a Reasonable Housing or Meal Plan Accommodation
Requests for disability related housing accommodations such as room adaptations or configurations, room assignments or modifications to existing meal plan(s) are treated similarly to general requests. However, in the case of accommodation requests for housing only, students are asked to complete the ADA Housing Form in lieu of the Office of Disability Services (ODS) registration form. Students must also provide supporting documentation along with a completed Healthcare Provider Form and work with ODS to determine the accommodation(s) that are necessary to ensure equal access to university living.
**Please note that requests for emotional support animals in university housing are treated as general accommodation requests and require students to complete the general ODS registration process.
To evaluate all requests accurately and equitably, a deadline is instituted in order to mitigate the likelihood of undue administrative burden, i.e., significant difficulty in fulfilling a particular request once room assignments have been completed. ODS will continue to accept housing requests beyond the deadline but the fulfillment of any approved after the deadline will be based on availability. Therefore students are strongly encouraged to adhere to the appropriate deadlines.
Deadline for Current Students: March 1st for the following academic year
Deadline for Incoming Students: June 1st
We anticipate ten (10) to fourteen (14) business days to complete the process after all supporting documentation is received. However, depending upon the number and complexity of requests, the length of the process may vary.
Requesting a Housing Accommodation/ESA
- Check Disability-Related Housing Accommodations only
- Submit the “Healthcare Provider Form” and the relevant supporting documentation that provides evidence of a disability and a clear rationale for the specific for housing request(s).
- Upon receipt of the request, students will be assigned a counselor and commence their review. Counselors gather as much information they need to understand the nexus between the specific request and the disability impact. This is done by speaking with the student, reviewing documentation perhaps even speaking with the healthcare provider. Once a counselor gathers enough information to make a decision, they present the student’s request to our ADA Housing Committee for a final decision.
- When a decision is made, the student will be notified via their syr.edu email address. If approved, Housing will be copied on the notification and they take over from there. If not approved, ODS will provide an explanation. We may also offer an alternate accommodation or make a referral to other campus resources if deemed appropriate.
- All communications regarding the students’ requests will flow through the student’s syr.edu email address and documented in the student’s profile in our Disability Resource Portal.
The Office of Disability Services reserves the right to request additional information and/or to recommend an alternate accommodation(s).
For any accommodation request that is not approved, or when students have been provided with an alternate accommodation that they perceive to be inadequate, students may appeal that decision to the Director &ADA Coordinator of Syracuse University at email@example.com
To determine eligibility for housing accommodations or modification of a meal plan, a student must be a qualified student with a disability (i.e. have a physical or mental impairment(s) that substantially limit(s) one or more major life activities) and submit documentation from the appropriate licensed professional or healthcare provider. The provider must be familiar with the history and functional limitations of the student’s disability and be able to comprehensively answer the questions provided below. The provider cannot be a relative of the student.
Specific to housing, we ask that the appropriate provider complete the Healthcare Provider Form and attach the supporting documentation, i.e., medical records or other related assessments to support the specific housing recommendations. Requests will not be processed until ODS receives both the Healthcare Provider form AND supporting documentation.
Students can request housing accommodations by (1) Registering with the Office of Disability Services (Mark Housing Only on the Form) and (2) Upload the completed ADA Housing Request Health Care Form [PDF] along with the supporting documentation.
Questions the committee considers when determining the need for and most effective accommodation(s) necessary to ensure access to university living include the following:
- Does this student’s condition rise to the level of being a disability?
- How does this condition necessitate this specific housing accommodation?
- Is the student’s disability permanent or temporary?
- Is the recommendation an integral component of a treatment plan for the condition in question? If yes, please explain
- Does the recommendation center on room adaptations necessary for safe and independent occupancy in the residence hall?
- Describe the likely impact to the students ability to use and enjoy campus housing if the request is not met?
- What medications does the student take for the disability and are there potential side-effects that may further impact living in the residence hall and/or unit or apartment?
- Is there an alternate accommodation that would provide equal access?